Monday, March 16, 2015

Step 6 Devotional - Healing the Brokenness

BIBLE READING: Psalm 51:16-19

We were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

If we have sincerely practiced the previous steps, we have probably found enough pain inside ourself to break our heart. Facing the fact that brokenness is part of the human condition can be crushing. But if we have arrived at this point, it is probably a sign that we are ready for God to change us.

As a young man, King David wasn’t ready for God to change his character because he didn’t recognize that it had defects. He prayed, “Don’t let me suffer the fate of sinners. . . . I am not like that; I live with integrity. So redeem me and show me mercy” (Psalm 26:9-11). He approached God on the basis of his own merit.

It wasn’t until later in his life when he was confronted with his sins of adultery and murder that he was able to say, “For I was born a sinner—yes, from the moment my mother conceived me” (Psalm 51:5). He also said, “You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one. . . . The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God” (Psalm 51:16-17).
Jesus taught that “God blesses those who mourn, for they will be comforted” (Matthew 5:4). God isn’t looking for evidence of how good we are or how hard we try. He only wants us to mourn over our sins and admit our brokenness. Then he will not ignore our needs but will forgive us, comfort us, and cleanse us.”

Excerpt From: Tyndale House Publishers. “The Life Recovery Bible NLT.

No comments:

Post a Comment